Thermal imaging cameras serve in various fields that require heat detection like surveillance, law enforcement, and firefighters. These cameras are also useful in home inspection to find electrical faults, air leaks, missing insulation, and much more. Therefore, home improvement and many other relevant jobs have become a lot easier.
Selecting the best thermal imaging camera for home inspection is a process that requires extra care. You’ll have to make many considerations to pick the most versatile and efficient camera. Our expert team has done the research and selected the right thermal imaging cameras suitable for home inspections. Besides, they have a list recommendation that can help you pick your next thermal imaging camera.
Table of Content:
If you’re interested in a specific portion of the whole content, use this table content to jump over the section you’re interested in:
- 6 Best Thermal Imaging Camera for Home Inspection 2021
- How Do You Use a Thermal Camera for a Home Inspection
- Benefits of Use a Thermal Imaging Camera for Home Inspection
- Final Words
This comparison chart will give you a quick idea about the cameras we selected to help you choose the right one.
6 Best Thermal Imaging Camera for Home Inspection 2021
When choosing the best thermal imaging camera for home inspection, you have to consider its resolution, battery, and so many other things. These key things will ensure you pick a quality camera. Some high-end cameras meet these specifications and much more and here are the best ones in the market:
1. FLIR E5 Compact Thermal Imaging Camera
FLIR is a popular brand when it comes to selecting high quality thermal imaging cameras. This camera helps home inspections to identify roofing issues, air infiltration, energy loss, and other problems. It has a high resolution of 120×90 IR pixels to help you get precise and clear images.
The MSX technology in this camera module provides real-time information to give you outstanding thermal clarity. With this camera, it becomes easier to find overheated circuits, condensation, cold and hot zones, among others. This clarifies the letter, numbers, and textures to help you compare thermal and digital images to find a solution.
Using this thermal imaging camera is easy to get the results because it has a user-friendly design. There are plenty of control features like measurement tools and navigation buttons, like making your operation easy. It’s easy to share the pictures on your device using a dedicated mobile app.
FLIR E5 Compact Features:
- It has a 120×90 IR pixels high resolution sensor to get clear images while inspecting a home.
- There are plenty of measurement models and other features for easy operation.
- You will get a rechargeable battery, case, charger and USB cable to give you convenience.
- It comes with the MSX technology to help you identify underlying issues in the house.
- The FLIR provides a free tool reporting software to help you review and analyze the images.
2. FLIR E4 Compact Thermal Imaging Camera
FLIR E4 is a compact and rugged home inspection thermal imaging camera that you can carry around. On top of that, its design makes it durable enough to withstand a drop test from two meters. The camera will offer reliable use in hostile environments as well.
Its crisp 4,800-pixel resolution gives you clear images and helps you identify problems and take the right action. You will get a pulling trigger mechanism with the MSX technology for thermal and visual images. The simple one-button navigation and the focus-free lens make it simple to use.
It uses a lithium-ion battery that provides you up to four hours of use and it’s rechargeable as well. Furthermore, you will receive other essentials like reporting tool software, case, IR camera, power supply, and USB cable. Consider this device if you need the best thermal imaging camera under 1000.
FLIR E4 Compact Features:
- The buttons of the camera are ergonomic which gives you easy one-handed usage.
- It is easy to use by simply pulling the trigger or using the free FLIR reporting app.
- You will enjoy clear images on the 3-inch high resolution LCD screen.
- The quick-release rechargeable lithium-ion battery that lasts up to 4 hours.
- It has a useful Radiometric JPEG to hold the temperature data contained by the thermal images.
3. FLIR C5 Thermal Imaging Camera
This is yet another best thermal imaging camera for home inspection from FLIR with outstanding performance. You’ll get three devices on one since it includes a thermal camera, LED floodlight, and a visual inspection camera. It utilizes the patented MSX technology to provide sharper, crisper, and clear visual details.
On top of that, this device is compact, powerful, and will fit in your pocket just fine. Although It’s a small device, you will love its large 3-inch screen with 19,200 pixels that give you a better view. Additionally, it has a rugged design to offer professional use in any situation.
You will enjoy the FLIR cloud connectivity that gives you storage, automatic sharing, and backup functions. The camera also allows Wi-Fi connectivity to help you share the images with your colleagues. Lastly, this rugged camera can withstand a two-meter drop testing suitable for tougher job sites.
FLIR C5 Thermal Features:
- It has a 3-inch display with 160×120 imager to give you the best image quality.
- This camera provides multi-purpose applications like building or home inspection, restoration, and HVAC.
- You will get a free FLIR tools app to help you make reports, analysis, and image editing.
- It has a pocket-size design so it can easily fit in your pocket for convenient transportation.
- The camera uses MSX image enhancement to give you a picture with essential details on the thermal image.
4. Infrared Thermal Imager IR Camera
Get this best budget thermal imaging camera if you want to enjoy the same features available in other high-end models. This camera provides a larger field of view of 35×26 degrees to help you capture a bigger temperature range.
Plus, you can easily see the images clearly on the 220×160 resolution screen. It can measure targets from 20-50 cm distance without compromising the accuracy of the thermal imaging’s sharpness.
It’s an ideal thermal imaging camera for professional use because it provides accurate temperature measurements. It is widely applicable in home improvement, traffic, firefighting, farming, and archaeology, among others. Furthermore, you will always get reliable information when testing smaller temperature differences.
The camera helps you to adjust the emissivity, alongside the option to choose the right color palette you prefer. Besides, it will be easier to get easily understandable and precise temperature images. On top of that, you will find four object measurement methods with it. You can easily adjust it to test the accuracy of various factors in the object.
Infrared Thermal Features:
- It has an infrared image resolution of 220×160 that provides clear thermal images.
- The camera has a thermal sensitivity of 0.07° C, making it suitable for house, electricity test, and vehicle troubleshooting.
- Its Color pallets and modifiable emissivity help you get accurate temperature images.
- You will get -4°F to 842° F test range and a wider field of view to capture all objects’ temperatures.
- You’ll get an exact temperature tract since it marks the lowest and the highest temperature automatically
5. PerfectPrime IR0018 Infrared Thermal Imager Camera
Homeowners and professionals require a reliable thermal imaging camera that gives accurate results. The IR0018 Model is one of the top cameras you can pick to meet your needs. It gives you precise temperature reading of plus or minus 2° F. This means you can always get the right temperature reading for use.
Alongside the high-end feature, its 220×160 resolution screen measures 3.2 inches and gives you a color display. You can see clearer thermal images even under visible light or thermal. Besides, there are five thermal temperature color indicators you can select for the best thermal temperature display.
It has an ergonomic design to help you measure heat spots and take the right photos to prepare your reports. On top of that, you will find a live reading by simply turning on the spot function. This enables the right tracking and live sensing of colder and hotter points on the screen without guessing.
PerfectPrime IR0018 Features:
- It features a built-in rechargeable battery that gives you reliable performance for a longer time.
- You can transfer data from this machine and your computer using the USB micro-B.
- The camera has a 3.2-inch full angle display screen that shows you clear thermal images.
- You can use the device for hardware troubleshooting, home inspection, electrical wiring and checking heat leakage, etc.
- You can choose from 5 colors, including black, rainbow, white, cool, and iron, for the best display of thermal signature.
6. 220 x 160 IR Resolution Infrared Thermal Imager
Do you need a cheap thermal imaging camera that gives you excellent resolution and clear images? You should consider this camera that is designed to help you find areas with problems. This camera uses a quality lithium-ion battery that provides a longer operation time.
You can see the thermal images clearly on the 3.2-inch full-color display giving you a resolution of 220×160. It allows you to see infrared images perfectly alongside getting sharper outputs. You also choose to select between 5 color pallets that include cold color, rainbow, white, black, and iron red. All these colors allow you to scale your tasks well.
Apart from house inspection, you can also apply this thermal imaging camera in firefighting, traffic, and manufacturing filed, among others. Its comfortable grip and lightweight design make it easy to use and store conveniently. You can achieve optimal comfort while using it at any angle.
220 x 160 IR Resolution Features:
- This camera is precise and accurate, giving you ± 2 % or ± 2° C regardless of the application.
- It has an enhanced image overlay that optimizes the right imaging position to come up with a better output.
- The package has a drop-resistant bag, USB cable, and lanyard for convenience of use.
- Its lightweight design enables you to hold the camera comfortably for long hours without fatigue.
- It features large buttons that provide an easy operation even for glove wearers
How Do You Use a Thermal Camera for a Home Inspection
Thermal imaging cameras are useful in different ways. They help potential buyers to get essential information regarding the home. These cameras utilize a technology that helps in identifying temperature variations in various places.
You will see an image indicating the particular area’s temperature because they scan the infrared light that objects emit. Plus, the camera turns it into a thermogram that you can see clearly. You will see different colors to indicate the different temperatures to know where the heat is emitting.
Benefits of Use a Thermal Imaging Camera for Home Inspection
It is difficult to identify underlying conditions in a home, especially if you are buying one. Using a thermal imaging camera will give you many home inspection benefits listed below.
- Thermal imaging cameras help you identify roofing leaks since you can see places with accumulated moisture.
- It is easier to identify electrical problems, and this will prevent further property damage and prevent injuries.
- You can easily identify structural defects when the camera scans the ceiling, wall, floors, and potential places with molds.
- With a TIC, it becomes easier to check and locate pipe problems. You will only open that specific area, which prevents the whole structure from damage.
- The camera will help you see the airflow and whether the roof is well insulated.
Thermal imaging cameras provide valuable information for home inspections. They can identify missing insulation, moisture intrusion, air drafts, and electrical problems. They play an essential role at preventing asset damages and human injuries. Inspecting the home with thermal technology before you buy it can prevent you from incurring unwanted expenses.
FLIR C5 is our best thermal imaging camera for home inspection if you want an ultimate expert recommendation. This device is suitable for professionals, and its rugged design offers a durable use in any situation. Besides, it is easy to use and it’ll give you a clear view with over 19,200 pixels display. You will also enjoy using it as a visual camera, thermal imager, and LED floodlight.