A thermal imaging camera is a tool that uses infrared emissions to detect objects and present them on a screen using different color tones that represent the temperature at which they are found. It allows visualization of a digital screen the temperatures measured in an area or object by a color scale, seeing the variations that occur or recording the images for later analysis. This article has analyzed several thermal imaging cameras and picked up the 10 best thermal imaging cameras that will meet your demands. Let’s dive into it.
Table of Content:
- 10 Best Thermal Imaging Camera Reviews 2021
- 1. 384 x 288 IR Resolution Infrared Thermal Imaging Camera for Android
- 2. FLIR E4 Compact Thermal Imaging Camera with 80 x 60 IR Resolution and MSX
- 3. Flir C2 – Compact Thermal Camera
- 4. Seek Thermal Reveal – Ruggedized, All-Purpose Thermal Imaging Camera
- 5. 220 x 160 IR Resolution Infrared Thermal Imager
- 6. Thermal Imaging Camera, Portable Infrared Camera
- 7. PerfectPrime IR0019, Infrared (IR) Thermal Imager
- 8. FLIR ONE Gen 3 – iOS – Thermal Camera
- 9. Seek Thermal Compact-All-Purpose Thermal Imaging Camera
- 10. PerfectPrime IR0001 Infrared (IR) Thermal Imager
- What Should I Look For When Buying A Thermal Imaging Camera?
- Why Should You Buy A Thermal Imaging Camera?
- Final Thought
384 x 288 IR Resolution Infrared Thermal Imaging Camera
FLIR E4 Compact Thermal Imaging Camera
Flir C2 – Compact Thermal Camera
Seek Thermal Reveal – Ruggedized, All-Purpose Thermal Imaging Camera
Infrared Thermometer with 3.2" Color Display Screen
Thermal Imaging Camera, Portable Infrared Camera
PerfectPrime IR0019, Infrared (IR) Thermal Imager
FLIR ONE Gen 3 - iOS - Thermal Camera
Seek Thermal Compact-All-Purpose Thermal Imaging Camera
PerfectPrime IR0001 Infrared (IR) Thermal Imager
10 Best Thermal Imaging Camera Reviews 2021
Finding a better and well-performed thermal imaging camera is not an easy job because all are not perfect for capturing images and detecting heat-related problems correctly. I have reviewed the 10 best thermal imaging camera after testing several thermal cameras in the market.
1. 384 x 288 IR Resolution Infrared Thermal Imaging Camera for Android
Hti-Xintai Thermal Camera is equipped with a high-resolution IR camera that provides 384X288 pixels clear images with 25 Hz real-time data. Its sharp imaging quality allows using personal and professional-grade use. You can control the camera functions from a smartphone app with a large screen view. It can detect multi-point temperature like center, minimum, and maximum temperature.
You can adjust correction, temperature, emissivity, distance, reflector, and Amb easily with the Thermography setting. Its long-distance imaging feature can detect animals and other objects at night. Also, it identifies the hotspots of the electrical problems area with IR images, so you can quickly detect the building’s problems.
The imaging camera works without a battery, so you can use it for a long time without worrying about power. Its 6 color palette helps to understand the overall condition according to the user’s need. With the USB port, you can connect the camera with smartphones or tablets for convenient use. Its innovative temperature analysis feature helps determine different temperatures to be the best thermal imaging camera for electrical inspections.
384 x 288 IR Resolution Features:
- Its high-quality IR camera provides 384 x 288 pixels high-resolution image capture with 25 Hz real-time data.
- The temperature analysis determines the different levels of temperature with hassle-free service.
- Its 6 color palette provides iron oxide, red, rainbow_HC, rainbow, white, and back color for better understanding.
- The thermal imaging light provides a clear viewing experience to complete work quickly.
- With a smartphone app, it can be operated easily without the need for battery and power sources.
2. FLIR E4 Compact Thermal Imaging Camera with 80 x 60 IR Resolution and MSX
FLIR E4 Compact Thermal Imaging Camera provides 80 X 60 pixels to 320 X 240 pixels resolution picture quality with the thermal detector. You can watch everything on the 3 inches colorful LCD monitor, which is clear enough. The MSX image mode provides digital to the IR image with clarity. Its weight is about half kg and equipped with a belt pouch, which makes it convenient.
Its use is very simple, and you can inspect building issues, fix HVAC, and restore anything by detecting leakage. It can be used through the FLIR smartphone app that allows for editing images and creating the report. It is also durable, and it passed the drop test from 2 meters in various job sites. For the stunning and clear picture, it could be the perfect thermal imaging camera.
You can share photos and data through its Wi-Fi network on other devices easily. Its focus-free lens provides hassle-free operation all time. Also, it has a simple navigation button and runs with a Li-ion battery for up to 4 hrs on average use.
FLIR E4 Compact Thermal Features:
- The thermal imaging camera provides 80 X 60 pixels to 320 X 240 pixels picture quality with MSX modes.
- Its one power button provides hassle-free operation and makes its use easier.
- With a lithium-ion battery, it runs up to 4 hrs on average usage.
- The 3 inches LCD brilliant display provides a clear and detailed view.
- It can be used with the FLIR app, and you can share photos with its built-in Wi-Fi network.
3. Flir C2 – Compact Thermal Camera
FLIR C2 thermal imaging camera provides 80 X 60 pixels high-resolution pictures with MSX technology. Its take picture with lens and overlaid picture with details so you can detect objects easily. Also, its 45-degree field view provides a large image with a detailed view. With the 3 inches monitor, you can observe images with colorful pallets.
It can capture videos in MPEG4 format with 640 X 480 pixels picture quality. Its audio recording quality is very good and clear. The LED flashlight provides clear pictures at night and in dark areas. With the FLIR smartphone app, it can be used easily from smartphones and tablets. It allows recording videos, capture images at a time.
The camera works on a Li-ion battery and provides about 2 hours of runtime, and takes 1.5 hours to recharge. It has 4 color palettes provide different types of view with more options. It can also detect temperature –40°C to +70°C or –40 to 158°F with accuracy. Its 1.5mm thick keycap set ensures durable performance over the years.
Flir C2 Features:
- The IR camera provides 80 X 60 pixels high-resolution pictures with MSX technology.
- It has a 45-degree field viewing capacity that allows capturing large areas.
- With the 3 inches LCD, you can see detailed imaging with clarity.
- It runs on battery, works up to 2 hours on a full charge, and takes a total of 1.5 hrs to recharge.
- Its temperature detection capacity is –40°C to +70°C with accuracy.
4. Seek Thermal Reveal – Ruggedized, All-Purpose Thermal Imaging Camera
Seek Thermal Reveal has a thermal sensor camera that provides 206 x 156 high-resolution image quality. It can find and fix energy loss, electrical problems, failures, damage, and more heat problems quickly. Its thermal sensitivity is below 70 mK, so you can use it anywhere you want. Also, it works fine both day and night with optimum performance.
It works on a rechargeable battery that provides 10 hrs runtime and can be recharged fully within 2 hrs. It is equipped with a 300 lumen LED flashlight that helps to see at night. Also, it has a durable casing that protects the camera from unexpected damage. With the large display, you can see pictures with a detailed view.
The thermal camera has a 36-degree view that helps to capture a large image up to 500 ft. It can measure -40 to 626 F temperature with accuracy. The 7 color palettes provide different viewing experiences, and the auto mode ensures spot temperature detection with more options.
Seek Thermal Reveal Features:
- The IR thermal camera provides a 206 X 156 high-quality picture with temperature detection.
- It has 7 color palettes that help to see pictures in different modes and colors.
- It can capture -40 to 636 F temperature, and thermal sensitivity is below 70 mK.
- With the rechargeable battery, it runs up to 10 hours without any problem.
- The large display shows the picture with a detailed view of up to 500 feet away with a 36-degree field view.
5. 220 x 160 IR Resolution Infrared Thermal Imager
HT-18 Infrared Thermal Imager has a thermal detection camera that provides 220 X 160 pixels high-resolution pictures and thermal detection imagery. It is equipped with a 3.2 inches colorful LCD screen that provides images and thermal detection with details at full range. Also, it has 5 color palettes that allow scaling pictures in different colors.
It is included with 3 GB built-in memory that allows saving recordings and transfer files to other devices. The built-in rechargeable 18650 battery can be recharged through USB cable within 2 hrs and runs 2-3 hrs with non-stop imaging. You can adjust the emissivity to get accurate measurements. You can use auto-shutdown from the setting menu and adjust the intensity, language, time format, and more functions.
The sensor is designed with ring-shaped to prevent collision damage. To prevent screen damage, it has a screen protector that improves durability. Also, it comes with a protective case that prevents dust and protects the camera from drops or accidents. After all, it could be the best handheld thermal imager.
220 x 160 IR Resolution Features:
- It has an IR camera that provides 220 X 160 pixels high-resolution pictures with 5 color palettes.
- It is equipped with a built-in 3 GB storage card that allows you to save and transfer recordings.
- The 3.2 inches screen shows the picture and thermal imagery with full range.
- With the 18650 battery, it runs up to 3 hrs and takes 2 hrs to recharge.
- It has a ring-shaped sensor design, screen protector, and protective cover to ensure long-lasting performance.
6. Thermal Imaging Camera, Portable Infrared Camera
HT-A1 Thermal Imaging Camera has a thermal infrared sensor camera that provides 220 X 160 pixels high-resolution pictures and thermal detection. Its 3.2 inches display provides a crisp and clear image viewing experience with details. You can customize colors from the 5 color palettes and transfer data to other devices through Micro USB cables with a detailed report.
It is powerful enough to sport non-safe places, measure heat, troubleshoot instant issues, and more. You can use it for both personal and professional issues. Also, it has various types of use in buildings, houses, electrical and mechanical systems. It runs through a rechargeable Li-ion 1800 mAh battery that provides about 3 hrs non-stop service.
It can detect temperature from -4 to 572 degrees F range without any problems. It can run below 85% humidity outdoor, so you do not tense about its operation in rough weather. The focus mode is fixed, and measuring accuracy could be 2% more or less. If your budget is below 500 dollars, it could be the best thermal camera under 500 for you.
Thermal Imaging Camera Features:
- The thermal camera offers 220 X 160 pixels high-resolution imaging with clear thermal detection.
- In 3.2 inches display, you can observe thermal details and see pictures with details.
- It runs on an 1800 mAh Li-ion rechargeable battery and goes up to 3 hrs non-stop.
- Its temperature detection level is -4 to 572 degrees F with below 85% humidity.
- With the 5 color palettes, you can customize viewing color in display.
7. PerfectPrime IR0019, Infrared (IR) Thermal Imager
PerfectPrime IR0019 has a visible IR thermal camera with 76800 pixels image quality with a clear thermal picture detecting feature. With the 3.2 inches TFT screen, you will get clear and sharp images with a 9 Hz refresh rate. It has a built-in 4 GB SD card storage system that allows to save recorded and captures file.
It ensures complete details in the picture and thermal detection system so you can get clear data at all conditions. Its auto problem and spot detection system helps to find and fix issues quickly. With its thermal vision, you can inspect thermal objects with better imaging resolution. It works fine both night and daytime without any limitation.
The temperature level detection capacity is -4 to 572 degree F with 0.07 degrees thermal sensitivity. With its 35-degree field view, you can capture large areas with good quality images. It runs on a rechargeable battery and provides non-stop service for up to 2 hrs.
PerfectPrime IR0019 Features:
- The visible IR camera provides 76800 pixels of high-quality pictures with temperature detection.
- The thermal range is -4 to 572 degrees F with 0.07 degrees thermal sensitivity.
- It runs through a rechargeable battery and provides up to 3 hrs of non-stop service.
- It is equipped with a built-in 4 GB SD card that allows you to save and share pictures easily.
- The 3.2 inches TFT display provides clear and sharp images with a 9 Hz refresh rate.
8. FLIR ONE Gen 3 – iOS – Thermal Camera
FLIR ONE Gen 3 has an IR camera that provides 80 X 60 pixels picture quality with thermal detection. Its temperature detection range is -4 to 248 degrees F with accuracy. The MSX technology of the camera provides a clear and crisp picture with spot focus mode. Its thermal sensitivity is below 150 mK that allows better sensitivity with a good quality image.
The camera can be used through the FLIR app from any smart device. Its dynamic imaging feature provides the visible image with the detailed result at both night and daytime. You can find and fix heat-related issues, electrical problems, and other damages. The camera is also compatible with IOS devices and provides an accurate result with thermal image detection to be the best thermal camera for the iPhone.
It works on a Li-ion battery that provides about 2 hrs runtime and takes about 40 minutes to recharge. It is equipped with an adjustable connector that is connected through the USB port. Also, you can transfer files on other devices through a USB cable. For these amazing features, it can be considered as the best budget thermal imaging camera.
FLIR ONE Gen 3 Features:
- The IR thermal camera provides 80 X 60 pixels picture quality with MSX technology.
- It works through Li-ion batteries and apps that compatible with android and apple devices.
- Its dynamic imaging range ensures good quality image capture and thermal detection.
- The adjustable connector makes it use more conveniently through a USB port and cable.
- Its low thermal sensitivity enhances battery life and provides a high-resolution picture.
9. Seek Thermal Compact-All-Purpose Thermal Imaging Camera
Seek Thermal Compact-All-Purpose Thermal Imaging Camera has an all-purpose thermal camera that provides 206 X 156 picture quality with thermal detection. It can fix electrical problems, heat issues, mechanical failures, and water damage, making it the best thermal imaging camera for water leaks. It is a good option for personal and professional users.
It comes with a waterproof case that prevents damage from water and other accidents. You do not require a battery to run the camera so that you can get a worry-free performance. It has 9 different color palettes that allow you to observe pictures and record them according to your needs. It has -40 to 626 F temperature detection with 36 degrees wide range field of view.
The camera works through a smartphone app, and you can easily use the camera with the USB port of your devices. With a 9 Hz refresh rate, you can get clear and crisp imaging with better thermal detection. For the advanced features and advantages, it can be considered as the best thermal imaging camera.
Seek Thermal Compact Features:
- The thermal camera offers 206 X 156 pixels high-resolution picture and detects heat-related issues quickly.
- You can fix water damages, building issues, electrical problems, and other heat-related issues effectively.
- It comes with a case that protects the camera from water and unexpected accidents.
- With 9 different color palettes, you can customize the viewing experience for better understanding.
- Its thermal range is -40 to 626 degrees F with 36 degrees wide range view.
10. PerfectPrime IR0001 Infrared (IR) Thermal Imager
PerfectPrime IR0001 Infrared (IR) Thermal Imager has a 0.3 megapixels camera that provides 32 X 32 pixels high-quality, stunning picture with 0.15 degrees Celsius thermal sensitivity. It has 4 GB storage memory that allows us to save images and transfer to other devices. With the 2.4 inches, HD display offers visible image resolution with thermal detection.
It works with a 4 pcs AA-size alkaline battery that should be purchased separately. You can view 1.6 ft to 16 ft distance with the IR camera with a better viewing experience. Its thermal capacity is -20 to 300 degrees Celsius, which helps detect heat-related problems and fix them quickly. Also, you will get an HD image quality through its 6 Hz refresh rate.
It is equipped with a key that allows the capture of images, and the LED flash allows us to see objects clearly in dark areas. You can adjust the camera on a tripod or other gimbals to get stabilized performance. For low budget customers, it can be considered as the low-cost thermal imaging camera.
PerfectPrime IR0001 Infrared Features:
- The IR thermal camera has a 0.3-megapixel camera that provides 32 X 32 pixels imaging.
- Its 2.4 inches display provides HD quality pictures with thermal detection.
- With the handle switch, you can capture images and save them to default 4 GB storage.
- The LED flash helps to detect objects at night with a clear vision.
- With an external 4pcs AA size battery, it runs a long time with stabilized performance.
What Should I Look For When Buying A Thermal Imaging Camera?
Before buying the best thermal imaging camera, you should consider some important factors to help you make the right choice. They are mentioned below:
It is best to make sure that it is convenient and suitable for both the computer operating system and the mobile device to be used (if it is for mobile). There are models suitable for mobile phones, but it would be advisable to look at their compatibility. Some of the options for use with mobile phones are not compatible with all operating systems, so that they may be relevant only on Mac computers.
Some thermal imaging cameras provided to work with the Android operating system may not work in some terminals of brands such as Samsung or Sony, among others. Likewise, when running the computer program through the use of the software, it should be enabled without problems to provide greater options for use and diversified functions.
Materials and resistance:
You should pay attention to the materials that the manufacturer has used to build this instrument. The manufacturing material could be indicative that it will help you determine how much thermal imager costs. This equipment can be used for different purposes so that, according to the model and type, the device could be part of a closed safety circuit or serve as an element to know the thermographic conditions of the objects tested in different environments.
The materials could help facilitate the grip and hold of the device. Some models included rubber around it, which prevents slipping of sweaty hands and protects the instrument when it falls over two meters.
It is important to consider the functions of the model of interest with respect to other similar devices. It is appropriate that the alternative is equipped with state-of-the-art technological functions to obtain a better and more accurate measurement. It provides the user with the required data in an efficient way to be subsequently analyzed.
The model must also have properties such as a thermal sensor of adequate resolution, long-distance visibility (at least 300 meters), wide viewing angle, and ability to operate in different luminosities conditions.
Design is a feature to pay attention to thermal imaging cameras. It is not that they have a striking color or aesthetically attractive because the most important thing is functionality and precision. However, the design determines whether these instruments will be more or less manageable. Also, they must be compact and light in weight for professional use to diversify.
When making an efficient purchase of thermal imaging cameras, you need to think about temperature detection. The mid-range models are equipped with a detection capacity ranging from -40 to 320 degrees Celsius. Similarly, there are high-end alternatives that have a measurement range of -30 to 650 degrees. When more gap exists between the minimum and maximum range, results can be obtained with greater accuracy.
Why Should You Buy A Thermal Imaging Camera?
Thermal imaging cameras offer superior protection in the most challenging conditions over other conventional cameras or other technology such as infrared (IR) light. Below we will present the main reasons why you should have a thermal imaging camera.
- Low-light situations: For advanced technology, thermal imaging cameras are more discreet since they can generate sharp images in total darkness. But other night vision systems that require a minimum of light to function.
- Thermal detection sensor: Its purpose is to detect heat sources so that no matter the objects within the vision field, these will easily detect the interruption.
- It does not lose vision due to flashes of light: When operating with thermal imaging, it does not have the defect of losing field of vision by having headlights as it happens with a conventional camera.
- Reduction of false alarms: Being able to determine which type of object is a risk or threat. It differs from other detection methods such as motion or infrared sensors that do not distinguish objects, activating alarms.
- Greater return on investment: It is a system that does not require additional equipment for the detection of intruders. Therefore, it is an effective prevention method, minimizing the need for physical personnel around the facilities or perimeters.
Frequently Asked Question
Here, I will answer some frequently asked questions about the thermal imaging camera.
Are thermal cameras dangerous?
Thermal cameras work like CCTV cameras and their specialty is that they can detect heat, including capturing images. So, it is a totally dangerous dree and the infrared radiation level is below normal.
Can thermal cameras see through walls?
Thermal cameras cannot see through walls which shows in the movies and films. Also, walls are thick and can block all types of infrared rays from the other side. Does thermal imaging work during the day?
Thermal imaging works fine in the daytime as nighttime. Its infrared radiation and special lens system allow to detect heat and thermal imaging perfectly.
Can you see a fart on the thermal camera?
You cannot see a fart on the thermal camera because it has infrared ray that can detect heat and reflected IR light. It passes through it like other lights do but cannot detect fart.
Does thermal imaging work in daylight?
Yes, thermal imaging works fine in daylight. Its IR light detectors help to detect heat and reflective lights both day and night with accuracy.
The thermal imaging cameras are indispensable tools measure to ensure accuracy in your work. They are increasingly widespread among people who like to make them their projects. Here, we have presented the 10 best thermal imaging cameras. From them, I would like to recommend Seek Thermal Compact-All-Purpose Thermal Imaging Camera that has a wide field view and provide 206 X 156 pixels high-resolution image quality with thermal detection.
It can be used under any conditions, whether it is absolute darkness, lighting, or poor visibility. Also, it is equipped with the latest technology that immediately detects air losses and diagnoses overloads. It can detect temperatures from -40 to 330 degrees Celsius with lower thermal sensitivity. The compatibility of this thermal camera allows us to connect to the phone from the application so you can access the settings and solve problems quickly, efficiently, and reliably.